Walking is one of the safest forms of exercise known today. Depending on how often you walk, you can manage to easily lose one pound per week or more. Think about it, in less than five months you can be 20 pounds lighter without spending hours at the gym and without going on a diet.
How to Lose Weight by Walking
The number of calories you can burn by walking is determined by your body weight and walking pace. On average, if you walk at a pace of 4 miles per hour (a common pace) you can burn roughly 400 calories per hour.
You don’t necessarily need to go 4 miles a day. As an example, if you walk plus 3 miles, you can burn extra 300 calories per day. Also you can walk a shorter distance, just combine it with your schedule. There is a device called pedometer to help you to burn some extra calories while walking and doing your daily plan.
Pedometers and Weight Loss
If you are attempting to get in shape with walking, one of the best things that you can do to boost the chances of success for your efforts is to go out and buy a good quality pedometer (like this one) or a wrist band that can track your daily activities (like this one).
Pedometer is a helpful device that you attach to your clothing near your hip area. It is light weight and has a variety of features. The important feature is checking the quantity of steps you take amid your workout or through your whole day.
In order to find out how many miles you need to cover to drop extra pounds, you need to find out how many you are currently covering. This way, you will know by how much you need to increase your steps, or distance each day in order to be able to see a difference in the number on the scale.
For example; if you take 8,000 steps with your current routine and daily habits and are keeping weight, the quantity of steps that you have to expand your daily distance to get thinner is just an issue of math; expanding your mileage as per the quantity of calories you need to burn (more details on that below).
How Many Steps To Take to Lose Weight?
To lose weight the average person needs to take about 2,000 steps in the average mile. One mile burns about 100 calories. This means your pedometer will help you keep track of your steps, how many calories you burn and how many miles you walk daily. Also it is a big help if you don’t have to workout. You can simply add steps to your daily routine.
- 1 Mile = 2,000 steps and 100 calories burned
- 1 Pound – 3,500 calories
- 1 Pound weight loss per week = 500 calorie deficit per day
- To lose 1 pound per week you need to add 10,000 steps to your day.
Here are some ideas how to fit the walking in your busy day if 10,000 steps sound a lot (you don’t need to start from 10,000 steps. Start slowly – just you will lose less weight)
- Get off the bus early and walk the rest of the way home or to work.
- Park your car further away from your destination and walk the extra distance.
- You can walk to the station instead of taking bus or car.
- Don’t use lift, take the stairs instead
- Walk the children to school.
Depending on the style or type of pedometer it may have advanced features including keeping track of the number of pounds you lost and how many calories you burned. This data helps you stay informed regarding your advancement by giving you a reasonable picture of what you have physically accomplished amid your walk.
Due to the important details recorded you will want to invest in a good quality pedometer (like this one) to assure every step is counted. According to the American Medical Association, wearing a pedometer is essential to long-term weight control and successful weight loss.
How to keep it Interesting
- Walking the same old track can become boring so keep your routine interesting by switching things around.
- Walk outside at different areas, parks, neighborhoods, or listen some music to enjoy, motivate, and energize you to finish the daily walking.
- Don’t let cold winter weather hold you back from your daily walk. Invest in a treadmill and place it in front of a window or television. You can enjoy viewing nature by glaring out the window during your routine or point the treadmill towards your television and savor every minute of your favorite show.
- You can invite friend or a family moment to join you. Even if they join you only once a week, it is still a beneficial way to mix up your routine. Often, dedicated walkers will become bored with the same old routine, so don’t let it happen to you.
- Keep it interesting and switch up your routine as much as you like.
We all know how to walk and have been doing so since we were a little kid. However, over the years bad posture and habits may have caused you to have less than desirable walking standards.
When you are walking for exercise you will focus your eyes about 100 feet toward, keep your chin up, squeeze your glutes, and pull in your abdomen towards your spine.
This style of walking will help you achieve maximum benefits from your workout.
How Often to Walk
Before starting with this daily routine you will have to consult your primary physician to be sure you are healthy to participate in the activity. Once you receive your physician’s approval, you will want to begin walking three days per week for 15 to 20 minutes. Then you will want to gradually increase the frequency until you are walking 30 to 60 minutes per day almost every day of the week.
You will be happy to know that this exercise is the best things you can do to lose weight. It is also one of the 3 things you can do to lose 88 pounds in one year without a diet.
Thank you for visiting our website, and if you like please find us on facebook- Healthy Guide. Blessings
Thank you for choosing us to be part of YOUR SelfCareTeam. When “I” becomes “WE” … Illness transforms to Wellness. We appreciate the opportunity to help you feel great again.
We care for tomorrow today with innovative product solutions that will help us face some of the challenges that lie ahead. Challenges such as a rapidly growing elderly population, more people in need of care and fewer hands to do the caring.
Since you’re here, you’re probably already thinking about how to take control of your body, improve your health, and get into the best shape of your life. Great! We are here for you.