The multiple uses of apple cider vinegar have already been discussed and despite its health benefits, this ingredient can be used in other many ways as a household tool for cleaning.
Here are some tips on how to use apple cider vinegar for different problems:
- Clogged drain
In a small bowl, pour 1 cup of salt. Add 1 cup of vinegar. Stir well so the salt soaks up all the vinegar. Continue stirring until the mixture is smooth and even. Add a 1/2 cup of lemon juice and mix thoroughly to give your paste some extra declogging-power thanks to the juice’s acidity.
If the clog is located deep within the pipe, or if you’re leaving the lemon juice out, add more vinegar for a thinner mixture so it travels more easily. Pour the mixture directly down the drain. Coat the entire drain so the whole clog is sure to absorb the mixture. Allow it to sit for 15 minutes so the clog can absorb as much as possible. For especially stubborn clogs, let the clog soak for 30 minutes. Rinse the drain with boiling water.
- Sticky residue. Pour ACV on the area with the sticky residue, let it stay for a few minutes and then wash it off.
- Trash can odor. Use a slice of bread and ACV as a solution for this problem. Easily soak the bread in apple cider vinegar and place it in the trash can. Let it stay for one night inside the can and remove it the next morning. You will notice that the smell is no longer there.
- Kitchen/ bathroom/living room cleaner. Mix apple cider vinegar with a 2 tbsp of dish soap. Take a spray bottle, fill it with water and then add the previous mixture to it. You can use it for cleaning id if you are unable to buy detergent.
- Fruit flies. Apple cider vinegar is perfect for setting you free from fruit flies. Pour some ACV in a small bowl, then cover the top with Saran wrap and poke a few holes and the trap is set. You will notice that the flies will enter but cannot leave the bowl.
- Unstick scissors. Don’t use water, which can lead to rust. Wipe down sticky scissors with ACV instead.
- Clean the washing machine. After debunking your shower curtain, give your washing machine a good cleaning with 2 cups of vinegar poured into the machine (minus any clothes) and running a full cycle.
- Clean the toilet, tub and sink with full strength vinegar on porcelain surfaces. For hard water stains in sinks, fill with hot water and 2 cups of vinegar. Let soak 20 minutes to 2 hours depending on the stain.
- Mix a 50/50 solution of apple cider vinegar together and soak your pet in a tub. Do this 1x a day for several weeks to rid your pet of a flea infestation.
- Sanitize jars. Reusing jars is way better than sending them to a landfill. Disinfect with a 1:1 ratio of vinegar to warm soapy water. Scrub well.
- You can use ACV to clean your glasses. Grab a soft cloth and add a little vinegar to it. That will remove all the dirt, smudges and stains and your glasses will become crystal clear and shiny.