The term lacto points to a particular kind of bacteria termed Lactobacillus. Strains of these bacteria appear on the exterior of the plant and in the gastrointestinal tracts of humans, the oral cavity, and vaginas. Their origin is from the milk ferments when they first used sugar to turn it into lactic acid. Anyhow, further than preserving foods, Lacto-fermented foods afford other health advantages, such as:
1. Improve digestion of the nutrients from the food you are consuming. And supply the stomach with good and useful bacteria.
2. Fermented foods boost the immunity system and make sure that the immune cells are safe and functional. Therefore, they stop autoimmune reactions like inflammation.
3. The connection between the brain and the digestive system is due to the vagus nerve. The vagus nerve is the carrier of information to the central nervous system from the intestinal nervous system. So it is essential to have a certain amount of beneficial bacteria in the gut, to prevent cognitive problems.
4. Lacto-fermented foods are stuffed with powerful antioxidants which attack free radicals linked to cancer growth. They also fight inflammation and boost immunity.
5. Weight Loss
Lacto-fermented foods control sugary desires and lower your appetite.
-2 pounds of small onions, peeled
-1 liter of pure water
-5g salt of choice
-A handful of garlic cloves, peeled
-Spices: coriander, black pepper, chili
-A couple of wide mouth glass jars with lids
How to prepare:
- Melt the salt in a liter of water.
- Add the onions in the containers and then pour the brine over them, leave about 2 inches spaces on the top.
- Cover the jars.
- Open the jars daily for 14 days.
- After that, open the lid every second day for 1 month.