Many dangerous diseases are transmitted sexually, and most people are unaware of this. One of these dangers, which can affect both man and women, is the HPV. This virus can cause cervical, penis, anus and mouth cancer.
This dangerous virus must not be underestimated. It has more than 100 different types, all of which affect human skin.
Human Papilloma Virus causes common warts on the hands and feet. Most of the HPV types are harmless, they can be treated or go away on their own.
According to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition of the U.S., about 40 types of HPV are genital, because they affect only the genital area.
Statistics say that about 80% of men and women, at some point in their life, will experience at least one type of genital HPV.
Even though sexually transmitted, you can get HPV without having intercourse.
The biggest problem is that most people don`t know they have the virus, because there are no symptoms to indicate it, so they keep on transmitting it to the next person, and the cycle never ends.
Most people experience genital HPV in the first years of sexual activity.
Some facts about HPV:
- Almost 30% of oral cancers are related to HPV
- HPV type 16 causes head and neck cancer
- Cervical cancer can be prevented 100%, if diagnosed in early stages.
- Most types of HPV are harmless, but there are others which are high-risk, they change the cell structure of the cervix, leading to cervical cancer.
- It is very important to visit your gynecologist often for routine check-ups; this goes for women who are not sexually active as well; if the woman is infected with high-risk HVP, her chances of getting cervical cancer in the next 10-20 years raise.
- A woman older than 30, infected with the virus, can be cured naturally, she`ll just have to visit her gynecologists to prescribe her the proper treatment.
- Women over 30 should do the Pap smear test regularly, because it detects the abnormal cells in the cervix causing cervical cancer.
- Male and female condoms cannot protect you completely from getting HPV, they can just reduce the risk.
Watch the video for more info!